North Iowa Juvenile Detention Services
1440 West Dunkerton Road Waterloo Iowa 50703
Main Line (319) 291-2455 Extension #2
Fax (319) 291-2464
NIJDS is an equal opportunity employer. We offer medical and dental coverage for full time employment complete with vacation/personal time and IPERS retirement benefits.
Part time employment does not receive medical/dental but do accumulate IPERS benefits.
Our current start wage is $14.00 per hour. A full shift is 8 hours but partial shifts are available. A full time week is limited at 40 hours. Paychecks are distributed every 2 weeks.
Employment Requirements at our Facility
All applicants must have a high school degree or a GED. Experience in working with juveniles, special needs children and college degree in criminology or social work are preferred but not required. Applicants must have skills including but not limited to:
These are many but not all of the requirements and expectations of all employees of NIJDS part time as well as full time. We do offer on Job training for those not currently certified.
- Basic computer and technology skills (i.e. digital camera operations, Windows Office)
- A valid driver's license in the state of Iowa.
- Have a residence and a phone number they can be reached directly at
- Be a legal citizen of the United States
- Able to pass an employment physical examination (including a drug screening)
- Applicants must be clear from any abuse or violent crimes both past and present.
- Applicants must be clear from any drug abuse crimes past and present.
- Applicants must be clear from any abuse or neglect of a minor both past and present.
- Ability to supervise juveniles as an authority figure.
- Providing safety and security to both residents and co-workers.
- Promptly doing paperwork in a PC based environment.
- Medication Administration
- First Aide/CPR
- Techniques to diffuse anger and potential violence
- Ability to use mechanical restraints
- Mandt techniques or equivalent
- Mandatory Reporter Training
- Minimal organizational skills
- Minimal janitorial skills
- Minimal maintenance skills
- Minimal culinary skills