North Iowa Juvenile Detention Services

1440 West Dunkerton Road Waterloo Iowa 50703

Main Line (319) 291-2455 Extension #2

Fax (319) 291-2464

When Calling or Visiting Us

Parents of Children Detained Here

The primary purpose of this facility is to provide a physically secure, emotionally stable, and safe environment in which juveniles accused of delinquent acts can await court action.

If you are not a parent or a legal guardian, we as a facility cannot legally give out information on a child or confirm if a child in question is here or not. You will need to contact the Police Department or the Juvenile Court Office of your county for any information regarding a child that is not legally your responsibility. Any person falsely impersonating a parent or legal guardian is subject to criminal charges and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Every child that comes to our facility is assigned and referred by a Juvenile Court Officer (JCO). The referring JCO does not have to be the child's primary case officer. Normally, the JCO referring the child is an officer who presides over the county the juvenile lives in however; at times it may be a JCO from the county in which the alleged crime occurred in. The JCO contacts a county judge and the judge gives or denies the right to detain the juvenile.

Every juvenile that comes into or leaves our facility does so at the order of a judge in the Juvenile Court System. Neither the police nor we have any control on if or how long a juvenile stays at our facility. These decisions are totally reserved for the judge. A JCO will be in contact with you if you are a parent or a legal guardian of a child detained here and they will be able to keep you informed on what options your child will have as far as sentencing/treatment options.

We work in conjunction with the counties of Iowa so as a parent you cannot place your child here without a judge's order. If your child has committed a crime and you wish them placed here, the victim of the crime needs to press charges at their local Police Department. If no crime has been committed and you are still concerned for your child's well being, you are able to contract us for any service listed available to the general public. If these are not appropriate for your child's situation, you should contact the Department of Human Services and inquire upon what they can offer you as parental options for your individual needs.

When a child is placed at our facility all personal care needs will be supplied. These include meals, hygiene items, clothing, medical concerns etc. If you wish to bring personal items for your child you may but be aware that these items will not be needed for your child's stay. When a child reaches Level III on our Level System they may have 2 personal items such as a book or perhaps a hygiene item (i.e. soap, shampoo). For safety reasons items like hairspray and nail polish are not allowed. If you wish to bring extra clothing for court that is acceptable but while the juvenile is actually in our facility they will not be able to wear any other clothing than that which we provide due to safety reasons.

URL Counter